Friday, August 15, 2008

A car-seat nazi's nightmare

I am a self admitted car seat nazi. I have stopped strangers and told them their seat was installed incorrectly. I keep my children in their seats well beyond the the age most of their friends have stopped using theirs. Mac and Liam graduated from their 5-pt harness carseats at on their seventh birthday. I make them use the Britax booster seat, which has a high back and big wings on either side of the head. They have figured out that by law they do not have to use boosters, which is true. Here in Illinois the law for boosters is 8 years or 80 lbs. Well, they are 8, but nowhere near 80 lbs and nowhere near the 4'9" guideline the nthsb recommends as being the safest time to graduate from the booster. I have told them we will follow that guideline, which at the rate they are growning may be when they hit junior high school.

Now, here we are going to China. There are no carseats or boosters, or in many cases even seatbelts. And the traffic is insane. I am going to be a nervous wreck.

No comments: